Not too sweet, not quite savory. These aromatic muffins combine the best of browned butter with earthy herbs, the subtle taste of mint lifts these muffins from the mundane to the magically scrummy. If you love the tartness of blueberry muffins like me, this recipe will take you in a whole new direction. Blackberry Mint Muffins are my new favourite baking for a sunny Saturday morning.
It may sound insane to stir freshly chopped mint into browned butter… but it smells simply INCREDIBLE
Blackberry Mint Muffins – Makes 11
Bake for 20 minutes at 200C or 375F
7 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp Mint, roughly chopped
1/2 cup whole milk
1 egg and 1 yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla bean, scraped from 2 vanilla pods
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 cups frozen blackberries
1. Brown the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat, it will start to change colour after 3-5 minutes. When the butter exudes an undeniably nutty deliciousness, remove from heat and stir in the mint.
2. Score both vanilla pods with a knife and butterfly them open lengthwise. Using a spoon, scrape down the pod to collect the sticky seeds – two pods should provide about a teaspoon of vanilla bean – stir this in.
3. Whisk in the sugar and the rest of your liquids – the egg, yolk, and whole milk. At the point the smell gets muddied down a bit, but fear not, it will return!
4. Measure out the flour, baking powder and salt on top of this. Mix until the batter is smooth & add in your blackberries. (mine are from this fall) You could use fresh blackberries, but I would probably just eat them.
5. Portion into muffin papers and bake until golden brown – Enjoy!